Care View is a project developed by the Urban Sustainable Development Lab, of which Fish Percolator is a member. This Rails-based mobile web app allows citizens to report instances of neglect in the built environment, which are aggregated together into a heatmap. The intention is to help frontline services identify socially isolated citizens, testing a hypothesis that these two things are connected.
Care View uses the user's phone geolocation to allow the reporting of this information in a single click, on a large colourful heart on the home screen.
The project was funded by a grant from NHS England and is being developed in collaboration with Leeds City Council. A major evaluation in Leeds, involving researchers and frontline staff resulted in successful funding from the European Space Agency. Care View is now operating in three cities in the UK and poised to expand to the rest of Europe.
Some things we developed for Care View include:
- Runs as a PWA on compatible devices, meaning it can be installed as though it was a mobile app.
- Geolocation - it uses your phone's current location to add data to the heatmap.
- A custom Google heatmap for presenting the data in a usable and anonymised way.
- Very small data footprint so it can be used by users on restricted data plans.
- Verification system when users sign up for a new account.
Care View is currently operating in three cities in the UK, but please do ask for a demo if you'd like to see it in action and maybe consider using it for your city.